FILTERING signifies you are accentuating the negativity of any given situation while filtering away any positivity. One thing will go wrong when ten will go right. However, that one wrong issue will hound your mind for the day.
PERSONALIZING will occur when you find blame in yourself with any situation which goes the wrong direction. The garbage man forgets to take the filled recycle bin. But, you say to yourself that you didn’t place it close enough to the curb to be noticed.
CATASTROPHIZING is a sense of anticipating only awful things will happen due to any less than pleasant occurrence during the day. You sleep through your alarm and are late for work. In your thoughts, the rest of the entire day just has to be terrible.
POLARIZING is the need to be perfect. If you are not, you are useless because there is no in-between. At least that’s the way you may feel when polarizing. There is no gray area in life, only black or only white.
Intervene your negative self-talk to positive thoughts.
• Make a conscious daily effort to listen to your inner thoughts. If negative, turn them around to be positive.
• Smile and laugh. It’s the best natural blues buster and may also bust negative self-talk.
• Exercise whenever possible. Something as simple as a 10 minute brisk walk will play a role in relieving stress.
• Avoid mingling with negative people. They will bring you down.
• Encourage your self-talk to be positive. Tell yourself things you would publicly announce. If you wouldn’t say it out loud, you shouldn’t say it to yourself.
• Unfortunate things sometimes happen. The key is to find a glimpse of positive in every negative.